Ages 6 and up
Turn your old shirt into a backpack with this super fun craft!
- Sharp scissors
- Needle and thread
- Large safety pin
- Clothesline cord, about 6 times the width of the shirt
- 7/16-inch eyelet (or grommet) kit (see tip below)
1. Turn the T-shirt inside out, then cut across the shirt from armpit to armpit. You’ll need only the bottom section.
2. Use the needle and thread to sew a simple stitch across the shirt, about a half inch in from the cut edge, to seal what will be the bottom of the bag.
3. Turn the shirt right side out.
4. Snip the shirt’s hem almost all of the way through (do not cut any stitching) at the midpoint between the two side seams.
5.Attach a large safety pin to one end of the clothesline cord. Feed the cord, safety pin first, through the casing of the hem.
5. Follow the eyelet or grommet kit instructions to add eyelets to the bottom corner
s of the bag.
6.Thread the ends of the cord through the eyelet holes and double-knot them to secure.
An eyelet or grommet kit can be purchased at craft stores or online for around $15. In a pinch, you can cut the holes with scissors and seal the cut edges with fabric glue, but the result won’t be as neat or as sturdy.
THIS IS FROM FAMILY-FUN!