This is Lucy’s personal collection of websites for gifted children of all ages – covering math, science, sustainability, crafting, art, music, reading, geography, history, writing, and more. Make sure you check our our new list of Books for Gifted Children, and our Top 10 Games for Gifted Children!
Multi-Subject Websites for Gifted Kids
- ABCya.com – A recent find, and a good one so I put it at the top of the list! Organized by grade level from K-5, so would be appropriate for gifted kids starting around age 3. I like when websites are organized by age/grade because then we can just hop up about 2 grades/levels and we’re usually at a good starting point. This website has some fantastic content and games – spelling bee games, word searches, sight words, typing and keyboarding games, math bingo, geography games, and more.
- Everyday Mysteries – Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress
- The BBC Website – Full of fun and interesting activities and information
- Enchanted Learning – Definitely a must visit for crafty kids. I have used the printable worksheets from this site for both of my kids from age 2 and up. We use it constantly even today… definitely spring for the membership if you can afford it. (Also great for toddlers and preschoolers)
- Freerice – Answer questions to end world hunger!
- World Book for Kids – Articles, illustrations, games, activities, dictionary, and atlas
- Where’s Waldo? – Online version of the classic Waldo books
- Time for Kids – Multi-subject activities, worksheets, printable quizzes and more for K-6, from the publishers of Time Magazine
- Brainpop – Animated educational site for kids – science, social studies, arts, math, health, engineering, and English
- San Francisco Symphony – Learn about tempo, musical notes, and more!
- KidsKnowIt.com – Totally free children’s learning network.
- ZiggityZoom.com – Another new find for us. Crafts, food, printables, tech, activities, and more. Includes summer fun activities, and homeschooling activities. I really like this site because it’s well organized, loads fast, and has a great layout.
- brighthubeducation.com – Wow! What a fantastic website for parents, teachers, and students. Site content is for preschool, elementary school, middle school and high school students. Includes lesson plans and homework help for school age students (up through high school) and even preschool and toddler activities and craft ideas. This site is enormous and very comprehensive.
Websites for Gifted Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Play Kids Games – Online speed typing test, Color matching (for younger gifted ones), read music!
- PBS Kids – Great for gifted preschoolers as young as 2 or 3 who are starting to use the computer
- Dolch Word Games – Great for gifted preschoolers who are naturally learning sight words on their own. The Dolch list is the one that our school teaches/uses in Kindergarten.
- SesameStreet.org – Great and safe for gifted babies and toddlers!
Math Websites for Gifted Children
- Dreambox Learning – Great math website for gifted children from K-8. Lucy LOVED this site in Kindergarten, and completed the activities through 2nd grade. Parents get daily emails on the progress… terrific and fun technology.
- Online Math Games – Lizard Math self-graded online and also printables
- Math Games – A place where students can practice all aspects of math, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, in a fun and pressure free way.
- Khan Academy – The Khan Academy is an organization on a mission. Khan Academy is a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for anyone anywhere. All of the site’s resources are available to anyone. It doesn’t matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology. The Khan Academy’s materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge.
Science Websites for Gifted Children
- The Science Explorer – At home or in class science experiments. Site and instructions are simple and easy to follow!
- Science with Me – Science worksheets, science projects, and games
- Biointeractive – Multimedia science resources for the classroom or home. Short films, holiday lectures, virtual labs, and classroom resources
- Science News for Students – Science news on atoms and forces, earth and sky, humans and health, life, tech, math, and more.
- Exploratorium – The museum of science, art and human perception.
- Astronomy Games and Puzzles – Lots of free astronomy games for kids
- Biology Games for Kids – Free human biology and animal biology games
- Amusement Park Physics – The science behind the fun!
- Science Fair Projects – Get ideas for your next science fair project
- National Geographic for Kids
Sustainability and Recycling Websites for Kids
- Ollie’s World – Kids section focuses on water, waste, energy and reusing and recycling. Teacher resources and educator reference section.
- Environmental Activity book from the EPA
- Cool the Earth – Cool The Earth is a free, ready-to-run climate change assembly program that educates K-8 students and their families about climate change and inspires them to take simple actions to reduce their carbon emissions.
- Bill Nye’s Climate Science Lab
- Weather and Climate Change – A good website for climate change basics, forecasting, ancient weather patterns, and more.
- Kids Ecology Corps – Good primer on water pollution, acid rain, global warming, rainforests, and air pollution. Includes a science activity how to make acid rain in your own kitchen and several other fun activities like making your own rainforest.
- Facing the Future – Sustainability curriculum for gifted students, even free sustainability curriculum for download.
- Rustle the Leaf – Tons of printables, comics, and downloads on sustainability for Earth Day or every day!
Geography and History Websites for Gifted Children
- Geography Games – Loving this in kindergarten and first grade! Fun and exciting geography games.
- Geography Maps and Games – USA, Asia, Africa, Europe and a fun Latitude and Longitude game!
- FunBrain – The inernet’s #1 website for K-8. Math, reading, geography, and grammar.
- The Kidz Page – Explore free printable & online kids games, activities, puzzles, clip art, colouring pages and online coloring.
- National Geographic Kids – Kids games, Animals, Geography, and more.
- History Games for Kids
Reading, Spelling, and Writing Websites and Games for Gifted Kids
- Online Spelling Bees – Fun!
- Rainbow magic – Games and activities based on the Rainbow Magic series – Lucy’s favorite chapter books in Kindergarten!
- Little Monkey Tales – Short stories suitable for young children
- Raz Kids – Lucy’s younger sister who is in Kindergarten is in a gifted cluster classroom and the school purchased Raz Kids for reading. It’s been a HUGE hit for a reluctant (yet fluent) reader in Kindergarten. Kids work at their own pace and earn stars, take quizzes, and earn ranking. Lucy’s sister is trying to “outdo” her classmates in reading – so it’s great for the natural competitive drive that many gifted kids have!
- KidsSpell.com – Create your own spelling lists, or choose easier, harder, and hardest games with varying word lengths to challenge all spellers.
Kid Friendly Videos
- Kideos.com – For kids who would love to get on YouTube. These videos are sourced from YouTube, but screened to be kid-friendly.
- The Toymaker – World of paper toys, holiday cards, valentines, sun boxes, baskets and bags, origami and ephemera… all for you to make. Helping grownups and kids spend time together making things.